Mold can be dangerous. It is associated with dozens of health problems, and it can cause serious and expensive damage to buildings and equipment. This is why everyone should learn a few basic facts about identifying and treating mold in order to protect themselves and their homes from the potential impact that a mold infestation could have. Here are nine things that everyone should know about mold.
- Mold can grow on virtually any surface. This includes carpets, drywall, bathroom tiles, wood, concrete, and virtually any other home material you can think of. Because mold thrives in dark, damp places, it is especially likely to occur on home surfaces that are out of the way and secluded--so be sure to perform regular inspections in order to give yourself the chance to stop mold in its tracks.
- Mold comes in a diverse variety of fungal species. This means that identifying mold can be rather difficult at times, as different species of mold tend to look quite different. Even smell can be deceptive: most molds give off that damp, musty smell that we all know, but some species smell slightly different, and others hardly give off a smell at all. Again, it is important to frequently check for mold. If you are unsure if you have mold in your home, search for photos of mold with similar characteristics as the patch you have discovered.
- Millions of people around the world are allergic to mold. This means that their immune systems overreact, causing a myriad of health issues such as congestion, watery eyes, coughing, and even fever.
- Mold can negatively impact health even if you are not allergic. Because mold contains varying levels of toxicity, it can also affect people who do not suffer from mold allergies. This issue muddled a bit by the fact that many types of mold cause allergy-like symptoms such as runny nose and coughing. Other types of mold, however, cause more serious symptoms such as respiratory and/or nervous damage.
- Mold problems can affect home value. If mold is discovered during a home inspection, the seller can be forced to fix this issue before selling at market price.
- Worldwide, it is estimated that mold cause more than a trillion dollars in damages every year. This underscores the importance of mold prevention and treatment.
- Mold requires a specific set of conditions in order to grow. The ideal conditions are dark, damp, and cool. Cleaning up and preventing excessive moisture is the most important step you can take in order to prevent mold growth in your home.
- The faster you treat mold, the fewer spores it will leave in your home. Moreover, untreated mold infestations are likely to continue growing. Killing mold quickly and effectively is the best way in order to halt your mold infestation and protect yourself from the potential maladies associated with mold exposure.
- Products such as RMR’s Botanical Mold Treatment can help you kill mold in your home. Visit RMR Solutions online today in order to learn more!