Finding mold in your home or place of business is not something to be taken lightly. Extended exposure to mold can cause a variety of health issues ranging from stuffiness, coughing, eye irritation and skin problems to serious respiratory damage. Additionally, left unchecked, mold is sure to grow--becoming a bigger and bigger problem until it reaches a point of being virtually impossible to remove. This is why fast action is necessary. In the case of large, well-developed mold infestations, hiring professional help may be your only option. In some cases, however, Do It Yourself mold removal may be possible. Here are a few reasons why people tend to consider DIY mold removal.
- Finances are the most common reason why people consider removing mold themselves: investing in mold removal equipment is oftentimes more cost effective than paying a professional service.
- If you happen to already own your own equipment, DIY removal may actually be a quicker option than waiting on a company to come into your home and remove mold.
- Satisfaction of a Job Well Done. Finally, many people simply take pride and fulfilment in working on such projects. They also understand that the skills and equipment that they acquire in the process may very well come in useful sometime in the future, whether for their own home or for the home of a friend or family member.
Should You DIY?
If you have decided that you are willing to take on a mold removal project by yourself, you must still ask yourself one important question before getting started: should you undertake such a project? Here are the most important factors to take into account.
- Size of the infestation. Small, localized mold infestation are, not surprisingly, the easiest to treat. Larger infestations present a greater workload, and infestations that have grown into hard-to-reach or out-of-sight places present a special challenge. Finally, mold infestations that have grown unmanageably large can be dangerous to disturb, as the quantity of spores released can have negative health impacts. Although this problem can be mitigated with the right equipment, such as Rapid Mold Remover’s 3M™ 6900 Full Face Respirator, it is important to understand the multifaceted challenges that large infestations pose.
- Type of material hosting the growth. Certain materials, such as glass, metal, and bathroom tiles, are smooth and inorganic, making mold removal much easier. Other types of material lend themselves to easy removal and replacement. (i.e. carpets.) Porous, organic material such as wood can be a bit trickier.
- If you lack the tools and materials needed to kill mold, consider the investment required to removal mold yourself. RMR’s New Customer Starter Bundle, available for just 83.18, can make this initial investment easy and affordable.
- Your own Health. If you suffer from asthma or other respiratory conditions, you may wish to consider hiring a professional. However, as long as proper safety precautions are taken, mold removal can be safe and effective.
Rapid Mold Remover offers mold removal tools used by professionals and homeowners alike. Browse our selection today to find the products that you need to clear your home of mold once and for all!