Household mold can be extremely detrimental to human health and wellbeing. This is why understanding mold (and using the right techniques to get rid of it) are essential. However, homeowners and mold removers alike should keep in mind the fact that not all molds are the same. Molds come in a variety of species, each with its own specific characteristics. Some of these molds are only mildly dangerous, while others can cause life threatening health problems. This is why it is important to understand the specific characteristics, health risks, and methods of dealing with each kind of mold. Below is a list of some of the most common molds.
Stachybotrys. (Black Mold)
- Characteristics: This is one of the most dangerous molds commonly found growing in homes and businesses. It requires consistently moist, wet or humid conditions for a sustained period of time in order to grow. As the name would imply, it generally appears dark black in color. It tends to grow on surfaces high in cellulose (plant matter), such as cardboards, papers (such as wallpaper), and wood (including wicker, wooden trim, walls and floorboards).
- Impact: This mold can cause a wide variety of health problems, particularly in the lungs. Symptoms include a cough, a tight chest, bleeding of the respiratory tract—including the nose and lungs—inflammation and fever. If black mold appears in your house or place of business, it is essential that you deal with it immediately. This is not a type of mold that should be ignored, as it can cause sometimes-irreparable damage to the lungs and other parts of the body.
- Potential Treatment Option: RMR’s Botanical Cleaner, Fungicide, and Disinfectant is a must, as it kills mold fast—making your home or work environment instantly safer.
- Characteristics: Aspergillus is the most common type of mold typically found in homes. While not always as immediately dangerous as black mold, it can cause serious allergic reactions and prolonged sickness/discomfort in residents if it is not treated. It typically appears a blackish, greenish or yellowish color, and is found in a great number of both homes and businesses.
- Impact: Symptoms of Aspergillus mold problems include infections of the eyes, ears and respiratory system, as well as, in some isolated species, carcinogenic effects. This is another type of mold that should be immediately dealt with if it is discovered within a home. Leaving it for any significant amount of time can cause serious damage to health.
- Potential Treatment Option: The RMR-86 Mold Stain Remover kills mold and removes mold stains, penetrating porous surfaces such as wood where Aspergillus mold frequently grows. A go-to solution for attic and basement mold removal!
- Characteristics: This mold commonly grows on wallpaper and paint, as well as food products and vegetation. Penicillin mold is famously used in a controlled manner in the creation of some food products, including numerous types of cheeses and sausages. It has also been widely used in the past half century as an antibiotic to fight bacterial infections. Don’t let these controlled uses of penicillin get your guard down, however!
- Impact: Penicillin can do damage to individuals, particularly those who are already immune-compromised. It can cause a variety of allergic reactions, hypersensitivity and trigger asthma.
- Potential Treatment Option: Basement mold removal specialists in particular are well aware that penicillin mold can be tricky, as it truly thrives in damp environments. Those who discover a penicillin mold infestation may wish to invest in the RMR New Customer Starter Pack to give themselves the tools they need to stop penicillin mold in its tracks!
These are just a few common molds. Mold comes in a variety of other forms that can damage human health, degrade property, or both. To learn more about mold (and mold solutions) visit RMR Solutions online today!