Could Mold Be Affecting Your Pets?

Posted by Bearly Marketing on 26 December, 2016

You make sacrifices to be a good pet owner. You invest in the highest-quality food, you go on walks and park-days, you change the litter, go to check-ups, and stay informed. You love your little buddy, and the love, loyalty, and company you get in return makes it all worth it. If this sounds like you, then congratulations -- you are a model pet owner!

As mentioned above, one of your biggest responsibilities is staying informed and up-to-date: after all, new information is always coming out about how animals should be treated and cared for, and sometimes, new dangers can also emerge or be discovered.

Case and point: over the past decade or so, vets and the public alike have come to understand just how much of an impact household mold can have on animals. The issue was first brought to public consciousness in 2007, when the American Veterinary Medical Association published a press release detailing a disturbing incident experienced by Florida veterinarian Douglas Mader. Mader had been performing a relatively routine dental procedure on two sibling cats when one began foaming at the mouth. The procedure had to be halted, and, despite the valiant efforts on part of Mader and his staff, both cats ended up dying two days later.

Perplexed and concerned by this event, which occurred at a time when animal-borne illnesses such as the Avian Flu were receiving a great deal of attention, clinicians observed the blood tests that had been ordered before the cats passed away--only to make a surprising discovery. Both cats had black mold in their lung capillaries. Despite having shown minimal to no symptoms, both cats had been very ill due to the inhalation of toxic black mold, and the dental procedure had aggravated internal hemorrhages, thus causing both cats to pass.

Of course, the health impact that mold can have on humans has been well-documented for many years. It isn’t entirely surprising to learn that these same problems can also affect animals. The more surprising (and worrying) element of this story, along with recent tests, is the fact that many symptoms of mold poisoning can easily go unnoticed and untreated until it is too late. According to reports, a few possibly observable symptoms of mold poisoning in pets include: severe scratching and chewing when fleas or other pests are not present, lethargy, runny nose and eyes, wheezing, coughing, nose bleeds, and changes in eating habits.

Because of an animal’s small size and body weight, it can oftentimes be severely impacted by mold that would only be a minor problem for us humans. The negative impact of mold can also take hold far quicker in animals that in people, which is part of the reason why symptoms are not always noticed in time. This highlights the importance of bringing your animal to the vet with relative haste whenever a potential problem is noticed.

Additionally, this issue highlights the importance of treating mold promptly in order to avoid negative health effects in humans and animals alike. With powerful products such as RMR’s Botanical Cleaning and Odor Treatment, you can fight mold and keep yourself and the people (and animals) you love safe!

← Previous post   |   Next post →