Mold Q&As

Posted by Bearly Marketing on 16 January, 2017

We’ll be the first to admit: mold isn’t exactly the most exciting thing in the world to learn about. For this reason, many renters and homeowners know very little about this pesky problem when it first strikes their place of living. If you’re looking for a quick crash course in mold, you’ve come to the right place. This Q&A should help get you up to speed. 

 

Q: What is mold and how does it occur?

A: Mold is a fungus that feeds off of organic matter and can occur anywhere moisture is present. High levels of moisture in a given area tend to be a warning sign that mold could occur: this is why mold is so prevalent in basements, attics, kitchens, and bathrooms.

 

Q: Is mold toxic?

A: Certain molds produce substances called mycotoxins, which are indeed poisonous to humans and animals. These molds, the most common of which is Stachybotrys chartarum (black mold) can cause neurological problems and even death if the exposure is extended and intense. It is worth noting, however, that even non toxic molds can cause and/or trigger wide array of potential health issues such as asthma, allergies, anxiety, and cold-like symptoms.

 

Q: Do I need to worry about mold in my home?

A: As scary as that last paragraph might have sounded, the answer is actually...it depends. The truth is that virtually every indoor structure in the world has at least some mold spores, and as long as this mold is kept at bay there is no risk to people or property. However, if you can see or smell mold, the odds are good that the problem has reached a level that warrants remediation. Likewise, if you notice symptoms that could be indicative of mold (such as allergies that get worse indoors) then a thorough mold search is probably in order.

 

Q: What should I do if I discover mold?

A: As mentioned above, mold infestations that have reached the point of being easily seen or smelled likely warrant action. Search carefully to discover the full extent of the mold, and look for the source of moisture as well: cutting off this moisture source will be key to preventing more mold growth in the future. The mold itself will also need to be treated: we will address that in the following question.

 

Q: Can I handle a mold infestation by myself?

A: Absolutely! Excepting the most widespread and unmanageable of infestations, mold can generally be removed by a non-professional as long as that person has the right tools. If you are interested in DIY mold removal, we encourage you to visit the RMR Solutions store today to view great products such as the RMR Solutions Botanical Mold Cleaner and the RMR 86 Mold Stain Remover. Depending on the severity of the problem, you may wish to check out our full selection to find useful items such as foggers, respirators, solution sprayers and more. And should you have any questions, feel free to reach out us. Good luck!

← Previous post   |   Next post →